yesterday i had a great opportunity.
at about 12am the night before last i got an email inviting me to carowinds. i quickly used my skills of trying to get in touch with an international friend who is here who does not have a phone number.
1) i called the place where he was staying…but there was no phone in his room (i thought his place of residency would have been like a hotel)
2) i kept emailing him asking questions
3) on one of the answers, i got his”skype” address
so, from my computer i called him to his skype address and firmed up the carowinds. i convinced him to go after 8:30am because i could save us some money for tickets. as opposed to $55, we could pay $35. that’s food and gas money, right?:)
i treated them to lunch at cook-out. cheerwine floats…
but, then i got sick after one of the rides and spent, like last year, more time in the first-aid station. but, he and his friend went around and did a lot of the rides…the whole purpose, right?
i treated them to dinner…we got to the place where we wanted to go just at closing time, so we went to mexican instead.
but, the opportunities i had for a kind of mix of cultural exchange were:
1) i paid for their meals as the eldest does in japan
2) i got help paying for gas and parking
3) i got them a little souvenir…the carowinds snoopy stretched penny. it is something unique.
so, all in all, i would say, the day went ok. i just wish i could still ride roller coasters.